The best option to ensure products meet these high standards is to purchase products that have been organically certified with a leading reputable independent certifying organization. This is really your only assurance that the Certified Organic product you put on your skin is made from ingredients grown and processed without the use of synthetic chemicals, fertilisers, pesticides or GMOs.
Certified Organic products must comply with strict national production standards that allow trace back of all products to their origin and continue to undergo annual audits by an independent third party auditor.
Organic Food Chain (OFC) is one of Australia’s largest certifier for organic and biodynamic Produce. OFC provides certification services to operators from all sectors of the organic industry and is one of the strictest Organic Certifiers in the world, being accredited with many governing bodies as below
The OFC is accredited with the Australian Government and meets the rigorous requirements of AQIS ( Australian Quarantine and Inspection Services) as an Organic Certification Body, accreditation number Q-271.
The OFC is also accredited with the USDA National Organic Program (NOP) for the USA as an organic accreditation agency.
The OFC is registered with the Japanese Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (MAFF) and is registered by the European Union as an Organic Certifying Body complying with Regulation EC94/92 as part of Regulation ECC2092/91.
The OFC is registered as a JAS – ANZ AS/NZS ISO9001-2000 Quality Assurance Company, accredited by SGS International.
To attain Organic Food Chain certification status, a minimum of 70% of all ingredients must be organically sourced from a certified organic suppliers with the remaining 30% all natural and allowed as defined by the Organic Standard. Certification of the product, not just some ingredients, is really the only way to ensure the product is organic.
Every product in the anumi exclusive range is certified by OFC. Each product has met the rigorous standards required to provide you with complete reassurance of its organic origin and quality.
In the global certification standards, the following ingredients are prohibited in all Certified Organic Products:
1. Petrochemicals and other synthetic substances as ingredients in their own right.
2. Non organic products of animal origin.
4. Fragrances and other colour components of non-organic or synthetic origin.
5. Anti-microbial agents not produced from organic sources.
6. Chelating agents based on EDTA and its salts.
7. Fatty Chain source material of petrochemical origin.
8. Sulphonation, ethoxylation and propoxylation.
9. Alkyl Sulphates (eg Sodium Lauryl Sulphate, Sodium Coco Sulphate, Ammonium Lauryl Sulphate)
10. Alkyl Ether Sulphates (eg Sodium Laureth Sulphate, Ammonium Laureth Sulphate)
11. Polysorbates (eg Polysorbate 20)
12. Ethanolamides (eg Cocamide DEA, Cocamide MEA)
13. Chemically synthesised sunscreens.